Thursday, April 12, 2012

Backhanded Compliments

(I realize that a lot of this blog right now is fond recollections of college life.. and I think I'm okay with that.)

I have many interesting memories of the many professors I've had over the years.

When I was in community college, I had the opportunity to do research over at the state university. I did a neat little data analysis project, and I was invited to put together a poster and present my research at their undergraduate research conference (which I'm doing again this year).

As I was standing there next to my poster, I saw someone approaching. This was one of the very few professors at the university that I was acquainted with, but I got really nervous because one of the lectures I had with him might have been entitled "How To Not Suck At Powerpoint (And Life In General)." He was probably a really funny guy in any other setting, but students tended to be terrified of his criticisms. Design was his thing, and he never held back.

Now, I pride myself on my design skills, for someone who is relatively untrained* in the art and science of graphic design. I wasn't terrified, but I had no idea what this guy was going to unleash on me. I greeted him, made a few small comments, and braced myself.

"Well, your poster is one of the few here that DOESN'T make me want to shoot myself."


I don't remember what my response was. Probably nothing witty or clever. Maybe I laughed out loud, but I always cherish that as one of the most unique compliments I've ever received.

Also, for anyone who needs a good reference for designing a research poster, this article is HILARIOUS. Also very informative.


* For one of you that may be reading, I don't consider that class we had together with "farm-fresh goodness" to qualify as actual training...

No comments:

Post a Comment