Sunday, April 8, 2012

What Have I Been Up To?

When I was still a college student, I would occasionally fantasize about how I would enjoy this odd new thing called "free time."

I imagined myself blissfully lounging in my backyard, reading all kinds of books. I wanted to venture off to cafes to people-watch and draw beautiful pictures in one of my notebooks. I envisioned going for long, leisurely walks...

Oddly enough, my habit lately has been to get up at 5:30am to drive my fiance to work, by choice, without coffee. Then go to the gym.
It sounds like some kind of madness. (..Then again, I was that person who held two jobs while going to school full-time and read scientific journal articles in bed instead of fantasy novels.)

If you can believe it, I actually like going to the gym early in the morning. Sure, sometimes it takes a little convincing to drag myself out of my warm bed. Sometimes I find that I really don't enjoy the mind-numbing boredom of running on an elliptical at 6:30am. But recently I developed a desire to.. do things. Be a more active person in general, but also do fun and challenging things like climb rock walls and roller skate and play hockey.

One thing I have learned from my adventures at the gym is that it is important to find what motivates you. Goals can get you started, results can keep you going but when it's just you versus the machine, sometimes a ridiculous fantasy can help you push a little harder.

I never played sports in high school. I will never make millions of dollars.
I'm never going to be a female Patrice Bergeron, or even a Dennis Wideman.
No one will ever tell me that I should be a Patriots cheerleader.
I don't inspire fear or awe in anyone. I don't have a fan club.

I know what my limitations are. If I forget, the world will be sure to remind me.
Despite this, I can learn new things and have fun. I can practice skating in my driveway and at the local ice rink. I can entertain the notion of playing in a beginners hockey league.

I can do whatever I want, as long as it keeps me going.

What keeps you going?

No comments:

Post a Comment